Why would anyone want to do this?

Go on...Google it...see what it entails. Why would anyone want to do this to themselves?

I first noticed something was slightly 'wonky' when I got my wedding photos back, my head looked like it was on crooked! My chin seemed to jut out quite spectacularly to one side. Why hadn't I noticed this before? Looking at photos dating back 10...15 years I could see it there too, but it has gradually becoming more and more pronounced. A question to anyone that knows me: have you seen my wedding photos? Have you noticed them proudly on display around the house? No? There's a reason for that.

Ever since then I have been very aware of the fact that I have a very lop-sided appearance. I've always hated having my picture taken at the best of times, but these days I try to avoid it at all costs.

At the end of last year I mentioned to my dentist that I was a little concerned about my teeth beginning to show signs of overcrowding. These days there seem to be plenty of adults taking the plunge and opting for the short-term inconvenience of a brace, to obtain the long-term benefit of a nice smile. So I decided to seriously look into whether anything could be done for me. My dentist explained that, yes, a brace may help with some of the overcrowding and arranged for me to see an orthodontist to discuss it further.

The orthodontist examined my teeth and explained that I had an underbite due to the fact my lower jaw was sightly too large compared to the top jaw. My teeth had moved to compensate; my front teeth at the bottom were leaning back and as a result were overcrowded and as my bottom jaw was slightly larger than my top jaw it slid to one side as I bit down. 
Underbite
Difficult to explain, but basically it's all out of line! He said that braces would help, but how did I feel about jaw surgery? I was really taken aback! I have never considered it, didn't know it was an option, didn't realise I was a possible candidate. He explained that the normal proceedure was to have braces fitted for around two years, with the surgery being done about 3/4 of the way through. I asked about cost and apparently if it is done in conjunction with orthodontic work it's available on the NHS. I was told to have a think about it, and to arrange an appointment with the orthodontic department of the local hospital.

It just so happens that I am fortunate to live approximately 2 miles from the Queen Victoria Hospital, birthplace of re-constructive and cosmetic surgery, so I am extremely fortunate. These guys are cutting edge (if you excuse the pun) and, in addition, the consultant maxillofacial surgeon I am likely to be referred to is a friend's husband! I certainly don't have any concerns about the quality of care...now to do my research.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Appointment at Hospital

Signing on the dotted line....