Signing on the dotted line....

All systems go!

I had my appointment at the orthodontists yesterday, to sign the consent forms and get a schedule in place. I was slightly disappointed to learn that I could no longer supplement my NHS treatment and opt for the tooth colour brackets because it would mean mixing NHS and Private Healthcare which is no longer allowed, so it's metal brackets all the way. I must admit I was pretty gutted about this and spent the afternoon feeling a bit blue, but I have a better sense of perspective today. At the end of the day, as long as the people who love me aren't bothered by my braces then why should I be?

So, here is the plan:
November 18th: Spacers go on back teeth to make room for metal bands in next stage
November 27th: Metal bands go on back teeth, the archwire is attached to these
December 11th: B-Day! Braces go on (gulp!)
18 months of braces
Jaw Surgery
6 months of braces post surgery 

As I said in my last post, I seem to have been focussing too much on the jaw surgery side of things and haven't thought enough about the braces stage. I've read several blogs by people who have the full works - all very interesting - but yesterday I found a nice blog which concentrated on the braces side of things. It was nice to see this lady's attitude towards her braces change over the 12 months that she was wearing them, she seemed self conscience about them for about 5 mins before fully adapting and feeling comfortable with them! She also made me aware of other issues that brace wearers face, such as a modified brushing and flossing regime and having to adopt a brace-friendly diet. Nothing I can't handle.

With 7 weeks to go until B-day I'm feeling quite excited on the whole! Now I'm off to enjoy something crunchy as it appears that I'm going to really miss crunchy stuff for 18 months.

Comments

  1. Hi Amanda :)
    I'm SO GLAD I FOUND YOUR BLOGGGGGG loll..it's difficult to find blogs documenting the braces part of the journey..because it takes the longest and is the most frustrating aspect of this whole journey. well, i'm en route to the consultation with the oral surgeon, hopefully i'll be approved. just a million thank you-s for documenting the whole thing. you're gorgeous by the way :D have a good day!

    Warmest regards,
    Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Appointment at Hospital